Tuesday 16 September 2014

Interview: Fiona Fraser

Disclaimer: Along with this accompanying article, Fiona Fraser agreed to take part in an interview with AWBA ahead of her appearance at Pride Wrestling on Saturday 20th September. Read on to find out about Fiona's beginnings in wrestling and where the future may take her.




Fiona Fraser - Facebook | Twitter | Contraband Photography


AWBA: Hi Fiona, thanks for agreeing to take part.

We might as well start at the beginning. I understand you are a graduate of the very excellent Source Wrestling School. Can you share a little but about what got you into wrestling and how you got started at the school?

Fiona: I was never into wrestling as a kid - it was something I was vaguely aware of around 2003 when I was in my early years of High School. I mean, I knew who The Rock was, I knew who Stone Cold was, but that was about it. At the time I just had other interests, you know?

I only started watching wresting in 2011. I came home from work one Friday and was channel surfing for something to watch, and decided on Smackdown - I got totally hooked from there. I watched for maybe three weeks before I decided, "I fancy giving that a go!" I googled Scottish Wrestling Schools and went from there!



Arm-based submission holds are a staple of Fiona's repertoire


AWBA: The first time I saw you wrestle was on the very first Fierce Females show DVD at the tail end of 2012, but I believe you debuted earlier in the year. Can you tell us a little about your first few matches?

Fiona: I debuted in the March of 2012, on what you'd know now as one of the Source Showcase shows, against Nikki Storm. I was so nervous, but I knew I was in safe hands. I had a few matches with Kirsty Love over the summer that followed my debut and it really helped my confidence to have those matches with her. 

I faced Nikki again in Motherwell towards the end of the year and it was the first time I really, truly enjoyed a match - every one before that the nerves were a bit too much. I faced Nikki again for the match you spoke about for the first Fierce Females show, and again, I learned a lot from that match - an awful lot. Working with Nikki has taught me a great deal, and still does.


AWBA: Since that initial match with Nikki at the start of Fierce Females, you have appeared on every Fierce Females show in some capacity. 

Your recent trilogy with Courtney has seen you both trade one win apiece and ended at the last show with a double-countout. It is fair to say that fans are on the edge of their seats for the outcome from this feud.

But if we can go back for a moment to the second Fierce Females event, Luke Who's Yer Da. On that show, you called April Davids a "coward" when she had to pull out of the event due to an injury. More recently during your first match with Courtney at Coming Of Age, you threatened April again. With April now making her return to Fierce Females at last month's Strewth Sheila event, a meeting between you both seems like a certainty at some point in the future.

Can you share a little about your animosity with both of these women and answer the question on everyone's mind - whose arm are you most interested in breaking?

Fiona: Regardless of the animosity I feel towards both women - and you've seen it come out against Courtney several times in the last few months - there is respect there. Courtney has exploded onto the Scottish scene recently, and it hasn't been long since her debut - it's all down to her hard work.

As far as our recent matches have gone, I know there are folks out there looking for resolutions,  and none more so than myself. In the heat of the moment I got carried away, and Courtney was smart enough to capitalise on that, but let's not forget - she allowed herself to be goaded, she let me into her head. The next time our paths cross, whenever that may be - it will be war. We are two determined women with everything to prove and a strong desire to win.

As far as April Davids goes - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I've got a score to settle with Courtney first. 



Fiona Fraser putting Courtney's arm in a dangerous position


AWBA: Speaking of respect, you've made no secret of your admiration for the duo of Carmel and Sara and their somewhat unforgiving ways. 

At this year's Return Of The Queen Of Hardcore event, you faced off against Viper. Although Viper got the victory in that match, you managed to get some modicum of revenge, as afterwards Carmel and Sara came out to the ring and goaded you into attacking Viper.

At the recent Strewth Sheila event, you appeared during the Carmel and Sara tag match and convinced Nixon not to get involved against Hardcore Glamour. Was this all part of that respect you have for Carmel and Sara, and does it extend any further? Could we possibly be looking at the fourth member of Hardcore Glamour?

Fiona: At Strewth Sheila, I felt overcome with a duty to protect Nixon. She's not new to wrestling, but she is new to Fierce Females, and she didn't know what she was getting involved with - I felt I had a duty to let her know that if she partnered with Nikki Storm, it wouldn't end well for her. If you recall, I was at one point in a six woman scramble tag match for ICW at Studio 24 in Edinburgh, and I helped Nikki that night by pulling April David's legs away from her and causing her the win, and not long after Nikki dropped her association with me like a hot potato. I was protecting Nixon from going through the same thing that I did - being used and abused by Nikki Storm for her own gain.

I have a great deal of respect for the way that Carmel and Sara know exactly what they want and how to go out and get it - they don't allow anything to stand in their way. It's an admirable way to go about things; there is no fear there. I have my own mission in Fierce Females, and that's to go out and show what I can do and prove what I'm capable of, because I know there are still those out there who doubt what I'm capable of. Whether or not my mission will be compatible with that of Hardcore Glamour will show with time - you'd have to ask them if they are recruiting.



Fiona convinced Nixon not to get involved at Strewth Sheila


AWBA: Moving away from Fierce Females for now, I understand you have wrestled for other promotions over the past few years including the Scottish Wrestling Alliance, Pride and on iPPV for Pro-Wrestling: Eve. What can you tell us about your experiences outwith Fierce Females?

Fiona: Scottish Wrestling Alliance is home, and I love wrestling there. I've wrestled on every Motherwell show since I started, as well as a few others. SWA has really come into its own in the last year or so and there is a fantastic amount of talent coming through their doors - both home grown and wider UK (and world) talent. Pride is fantastic fun, and is at the start of its journey - it's going from strength to strength at the moment.

Pro-Wrestling: EVE was an amazing experience to have so early on in my career and I'm incredibly grateful to them for taking a risk with me (I was still very new to wrestling when I traveled down for the Wrestlefever show) and giving me the chance to be part of the show. It was the first all female show I was a part of too - the atmosphere backstage was very supportive and friendly.


AWBA: While on the subject of gender, you're scheduled to wrestle for Pride on Saturday in a mixed tag match. Mixed gender bouts seem to be one of the staples of British wrestling at the moment, with no differentiation being made between men and women from a fan's perspective. Being in the ring however, do you feel there are any differences between taking part in a mixed gender match as opposed to an all female bout?

Fiona: Mixed tag matches can bring some good fun to a show, with a real chance to build up character and story line depending on who is involved. Obviously there are the considerations as to whom is the legal participant in mixed gender matches, but other than that you're going out to do the same as you would in any other match.





AWBA: As well as having a fantastic wrestling career, I also understand that you do photo shoots with some of the female wrestlers as part of Contraband Photography (link). What started your interest in photography and where do you hope to go with it?

Fiona: I do indeed - I'm responsible for a lot of the photographs of the women in Scottish Wrestling that are cropping up right now, and there will be plenty more to come!

I completed an HNC in Photography at a local college in 2008/9 after I finished High School - it was a way for me to get out of the school environment that I wasn't enjoying any more. It was something to do while I was figuring out what I actually wanted to do with my life - why do we ask 16 and 17 year olds to think about these things, seriously? 

After college I spent time working with burlesque performers, who found having a female photographer a bit of fresh air. I was asked to do some photographs this year after a long break from my camera and it's really spiraled from there. More and more people are seeing the photos I've taken and really see the value in them.

As far as where I hope to go with it, I want to work with as many female wrestlers as possible and get some great results together - no one should underestimate the power of a good photo, both in that the way a promoter sees it, but also in how good it can make you feel.



Sammii Jayne, a fine example of Fiona's work


AWBA: Got to agree with you there. Your photos give the wrestlers you've worked with so far an extra air of professionalism in my opinion.

Continuing to look forward then, what are your aspirations in the ring for 2015 and beyond?

Fiona: I want to expand my skill set as far as I can - I'm known as a technical wrestler, but I'm capable of so much more than what people have seen already. I'll be making my voice heard and impossible to ignore.

























If you enjoyed this Interview, please check out this article on Fiona's career so far, including some free matches to enjoy and information on Fiona's upcoming shows!




No comments:

Post a Comment